My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.atthesinema.co.uk/ and update your bookmarks.

.

This blog and all its contents has relocated to: atthesinema.co.uk
Please go there. Thanks.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

10 Songs of the Week












I'm getting worse and worse for posting, though not through choice. I've only been back at college for a week, and I'm already bogged down with essays and reading lists and all sorts. I guess this is sort of one of those years where I have to work, lest I risk messing up my future.
Ho hum, enough with the negative stuff- how have you all been? All slowly getting back into the swing of things after the holidays, I suspect. I'm having a bit of a musical week, by which I'm meaning to shitloads of music, not that I'm rockin' out to the Sound of Music, or anything. So, I thought it would be nice to share with you what's goin' on musically with me as of late:

THE WHO, 'BABA O' RILEY'
'Who's Next' has easily one of the best album covers of all time, and is one of the best albums of all time as well. Baba O'Riley is very, very high up on my list of ultimate tracks to play air guitar to alone in my bedroom. The Who also provide all of the theme tunes for CSI, and I do love a good bit of CSI.

MARIANA'S TRENCH, 'ACADIA' I just remembered the guitar solo on 'Acadia' reminds me of 'Baba O' Riley', for some strange reason. I still don't think 'Masterpiece Theatre' is a patch on 'Fix Me', but they're still seem like a pretty cool bunch of dudes, so ho hum.

ALEXISONFIRE, ANYTHING, EVERYTHING, JUST GIVE ME ALEXISONFIRE QUICK!
(BUT MAINLY 'THIS COULD BE ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD')
I'm going to see them in concert in October! Win! I also like to imagine what would happen if Alexisonfire and Marianas Trench got into some Canadian-rock-band-battle-to-the-death. Alexisonfire would easily win- it would be a bit of a massacre, actually. Any member of Alexisonfire could snap the rather effeminate Josh Ramsay (lead singer of MT) like a twig. No offence to Josh- he just seems like he'd benefit from a good square meal.

CITY AND COLOUR, 'AS MUCH AS I EVER COULD'
My Alexisonfire binge just sort of merged into a City and Colour binge. I think I gravely underestimated 'As Much As I Ever Could' in particular.

THE CURE, 'JUST LIKE HEAVEN'
Ooh, I love The Cure. It is a pity that all decent bands from England have been and gone, though. Our music scene is a little lacking in comparison at the moment.

NEKO CASE, 'PRISON GIRLS'
'Middle Cyclone', the album this song is from is easily my favorite of the albums that I reviewed on Song by Song. All of the songs are also alot of fun to sing along to, particularly 'People Got a Lotta Nerve'- on the count of three, 'I'm a man-man-man, man-man-man-eater!'

THE BEATLES, 'PAPERBACK WRITER'
You may notice an old-English-band theme to my current musical taste. I don't know, maybe I'm going to patriotic. For some reason, there's this massive taboo about people listening to '1'- what, just because it's basically a compilation of their famous songs, I'm not allowed to listen to it?

BAT FOR LASHES, 'MOON AND MOON'
Since viewing her performance at the Mercury Prize Awards, I can't stop listening to her. Her strangely hypnotic voice gets me every time.

AS CITIES BURN, 'PETTY'
Still my album of the year thus far. Truly stunning. Enough said.

JOY DIVISION, 'LOVE WILL TEAR US APART'
A truly immense song. Have you watched 'Control', the biopic about them? That too is immense, and so visually beautiful. Go buy it, now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin