My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.atthesinema.co.uk/ and update your bookmarks.

.

This blog and all its contents has relocated to: atthesinema.co.uk
Please go there. Thanks.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Should I Listen to Last.FM? Part I

< style="font-size:small;">

If, like all the writers here, you are a religious user of Last FM, you will know all about the recommendations it gives you. Basically, it takes a cross section of your artists and general music genre, adds a little hocus pocus, a few newts eyes and such and produces similar bands for your listening pleasure. Sometimes this goes amazingly, I have been introduced to ‘The Dykeenies’, ‘Alessi’s Ark’, ‘Cajun Dance Party’ along with many others I listen to like my whole life depends on it. Other times, well, it doesn’t go quite so well. Avril Lavigne has come up once or twice, but then again and anyone who knows me will know my astounding hatred for her… but anyway, that is a story for another day… On last FM people can also leave comments about the band or artist, I will be pulling out a few of these as secondary evidence of my findings.


Artist

Eight Legs

Similar To

Cajun Dance Party, Blood Red Shoes, The Metro’s, Look See Proof, Good Shoes

What Other Last Fmers Think

Mixed reviews here, a lot of people are complaining about the new album, it’s described as “terrible” and “weird” and even “disappointing”. But then there are a few people who are singing its praises. The band is described by some as “talented” and “niiice”, yes that’s three I’s, clearly this guy was impressed.

My Thoughts

I started off by listening to ‘Those Grey Days’ which was mentioned once or twice by fans. Just listening to one song I had fallen in love with this band. I must admit it’s what I affectionately dub ‘lads music’ and this song in particular is about drunken arguments and passing out on the concrete outside a lover’s house. This song was used at the Dior Homme Winter show in 2006 when the band were still unsigned and I can see why, it’s a satirical look at booze culture. Definitely worth a download! A double thumbs up!


Artist

Tina Dico

Similar To

Gemma Hayes, Sia and Charlotte Martin

What Other Last FMers Think

Wow, this Tina Dico definitely has a lot to live up to, we have comments praising her to high heavens. One man called her “stunning”, another said “amazing” and one over enthusiastic fan claimed she was “perfection”. Funnily these were all men and Tina Dico is very, very pretty, I need to decide for myself whether it’s because of her blonde hair and statuesque bone structure or for her talent…

My Thoughts

The first song I stumbled across was a live version of “In the Red”, it was slow, relaxing and sweet, played on an acoustic guitar. Whilst it was easy to listen to and Tina’s voice was sweet, it was just too singer-songwriter for me. Don’t get me wrong, I am a lover of that genre, my Itunes is full of it, but most of my singers bring something a little different to the table. Tina Dico falls into the monotonous category of a blonde chick with a guitar singing melancholy songs of the heart. Although I must say I do like her collaborations with Zero 7, ‘Home’ is haunting.


Artist

Winter Kids

Similar To

Joe Jean and The Jing Jang Jong, Johnny Foreigner, Mumm-ra, Look See Proof

What Other Last FMers Think

Very good response. We have outcries that they have “blown people away” and that they are the “best acid jazz band ever”. Very good comments to live up to. Honestly, I know you shouldn’t judge a band by their album cover, but I love the butterflies in the picture above, so maybe I’ll be a little bias? Who knows…

My Thoughts

I liked to ‘Tape It’, which seems to be the favourite on Last Fm and I was not disappointed. The lead singer’s voice is quite unique, maybe its just me, but he has a deeper, more manly voice then your standard run-of-the-mill, skinny-jeaned indie kid. The choruses of ‘HEAD RUSH!’ were unique and definitely brought a smile to my face. I like Indie bands that have women in them and its always refreshing to hear they sweeter, lighter vocals in WinterKids. Definitely something different, but in a very good way.

Ok 2/3. Pretty damn good Last FM. Have a gold star.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin