My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.atthesinema.co.uk/ and update your bookmarks.

.

This blog and all its contents has relocated to: atthesinema.co.uk
Please go there. Thanks.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

3 Degrees of Separation: Bobby Pickett to Of Montreal

Happy Halloween, kids! Hope you're all dressing up like demented monsters at some point today.
Now, since I've already done a Halloween playlist (in June, because I'm strange like that), I thought I'd bring you the 4th installment of 3 Degrees!

3 Degrees (noun): A series of posts in which I link three bands by cover versions. Sounds easy, but when you throw in a Halloween theme, things get a little trickier...

1. BOBBY 'BORIS' PICKETT AND THE CRYPTKICKERSThe Monster Mash (Click for MP3)- I'm sorry, but there's no way you can mention Halloween and not slip in a Monster Mash reference. Even Elvis slated the song, calling it 'the dumbest thing I've ever heard'. But for many, this is Halloween. Well, this or 'Thriller', but aren't we all a little Jackson-ed out of late?
Also: Bobby Pickett died in 2007. Did you know this? I didn't- I'm actually quite upset now. Moving on...

2. MISFITS The Monster Mash- Not sick of the Monster Mash yet? Then you should check out this cover by Misfits. The Misfits are quite easily my favorite horror-rock band of all time (a pretty lucrative market, but there you go)- and although this isn't exactly their best work, it's still damn fun.

Where Eagles Dare- FUN FACT TIME! The Misfit's primary source of inspiration are movies- 'Where Eagles Dare', for instance, is based upon a 1968 film of the same title, starring Clint Eastwood. I'm just a fountain of knowledge, me.

3. OF MONTREALWhere Eagles Dare- Of Montreal have taken a thrashing punk song, screaming of rebellion, and turned it into a tiny slice of electronic, catchy joy. Also, if you like what you hear, this blog has 80+ Of Montreal covers, and is generally a top-notch read.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks for this! I love getting new music!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin