My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.atthesinema.co.uk/ and update your bookmarks.

.

This blog and all its contents has relocated to: atthesinema.co.uk
Please go there. Thanks.

Friday, June 26, 2009

25th June- The Worst Day Ever?



When all is said and done, in the land of celebrity, yesterday was shitty. Losing one icon (Michael Jackson, King of Pop) is bad enough, but two (Farrah Fawcett, Charlie's Angels Pin-Up) is awful.
Of course, I only found out about such losses this morning over a bowl of Shredded Wheat, because I'm very much behind the times. So, here is a small post to commemorate those who left us yesterday.

Michael Jackson
Say what you want about his private life, but he was a legend- everyone knew his name, everyone has devised a zombie-esque dance routine to 'Thriller' at some point. Jackson 5 are one of my favorite pop acts of all time (tied with Marvelettes, I think), and I am genuinely a huge Jackson fan. It may not be the sort of music I might think of immediately when switching on my MP3, but his music has undoubtedly had an impact on the world.
Everyone has alot of memories connected to the life, times and work of Mr. Jackson. I remember dancing around my friend's kitchen on her 10th birthday to 'Blame it on the Boogie'; I remember a kid at primary school who used to sing alot, but he would only ever sing 'Thriller', or the 'Back to the Future Soundtrack'; I remember playing Pass the Parcel to 'Rockin' Robin' one Christmas when I was eight. Thanks, MJ- you gave us some great memories.

Farrah Fawcett
A pin-up for a generation, an icon, and my idol as a child. I went through a phase where I was obsessed with spies; I'd read 'Harriet the Spy' over and over again, and patrol my neighbourhood in a trench coat, convinced I'd eventually find something worth spying on. I kept a book of my findings, which is absolutely hilarious to read these days- I was a complete nutter as a child. I was also kind of obsessed with watching "Charlie's Angels" re-runs on a Sunday morning- I didn't care much for her naive character, Jill Munroe, but I couldn't imagine anyone more glamorous than Farrah, a vision of messy blonde girls and a perfect toothy grin. Every night, I'd dream of espionage- I too would have a head of messy blonde curls, and for some reason, I was always wearing Audrey Hepburn's yellow coat from "Charade" (which is by far my favorite Hepburn film). Thankyou Farrah, for inspiring my madcap childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin