My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.atthesinema.co.uk/ and update your bookmarks.

.

This blog and all its contents has relocated to: atthesinema.co.uk
Please go there. Thanks.

Saturday, June 20, 2009

5 Versions of 'Use Somebody'

Covers of 'Use Somebody are everywhere these days- and I mean bloody everywhere. The diifculty with this is, of course, that cover versions are supposed to be original- a concept that is very difficult to accomplish when you're all singing the same song. Still, here are five versions that you might quite like.

Version 1- Kings of Leon
Well, I couldn't very well write a post about 'Use Somebody' by Kings of Leon wihtout mentioning Kings of Leon, could I? The original, and in my opinion, still the best. The fact that I still think this is best version makes this a whole post a little bit pointless, but still- the other versions are definitely worth listening to. Just less that this.


Version 2- Bat for Lashes
What this version lacks in volume, it makes up for in wispy haunting notes. According to SongFacts, frontman Caleb Followill wrote this song about longing for somebody to have a cuddle with while feeling lonely on the road. He said on his band's website: "It's about being far from home"
- this message is perfectly captured by Bat for Lashes's cover.


Version 3- Friendly Fires
What I like about the Friendly Fires version is that, unlike the other covers, it still has that slightly triumphant tone of the original. Rather than taking he obvious route and stripping it back to just largely vocals and guitar, Friendly Fires have succeeded in making the song theirs without completing redefining the sound of the original.

Version 4- Karima Francis
Karima Francis definitely wins the title of 'Person in This Post With the Coolest Hair', but I doubt she'll be winning too many prizes for her version of 'Use Somebody'. Nice as it is, it seems he's trying a little too hard- it doesn't have that easy, natural feel of some of the other versions.

Version 5- VV Brown
I'm not world's biggest fan of VV Brown, but I think she did a pretty good cover here. However, I got quite irritated when her hand started smacking against the guitar whilst she was playing (about 30 seconds in)- but maybe that's just me looking for something to criticise. Nevermind, a top ocver nonetheless.

2 comments:

Talia said...

Karima is a she not a he!!

Eileen said...

Oops- just testing :)
I did actually know that, promise. Guess that's what I get for trying to write after a night out. Thanks for pointing that out!

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin