My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.atthesinema.co.uk/ and update your bookmarks.

.

This blog and all its contents has relocated to: atthesinema.co.uk
Please go there. Thanks.

Monday, July 27, 2009

3 Degrees of Separation: The Who to Lightspeed Champion

Three Degrees of Separation: (noun):
1. A series of posts in which I link three bands together by cover versions- the best way to fully explain this is just to launch into it- I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Artist 1: The WhoI usually start with a little band bio for each artist, but if you don't know who The Who are, frankly, I'm appalled. They're one of the most successful and influential bands of all time, and are widely considered to be one of the best bands to live ever, and are responsible for such classics as 'Who Are You?' 'Baba O' Reilley' and- of course- 'My Generation'. My Generation was listed at number 11 in Rolling Stone's list of "500 Greatest Songs Ever", and has been featured in everything from The Young Ones to The Simpsons to Austin Powers. As they are considered one of the great live bands, you can listen to a live recording of My Generation below:


Artist 2: Green Day
Green Day recently covered The Who 's "A Quick One While He's Away," Social Distortion 's "Another State of Mind," Elvis' "That's Alright Mama" and Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone" in conjunction with the online release of their new album, 21st Century Breakdown, on I-Tunes. With that in mind, here's a completely different Who cover they did: My Generation- it's not a patch on the original (obviously), but not too shabby nonetheless.


Green Day are also considered a bit of big deal. I feel a little stupid writing a band bio about them as well, so I'll just say they've recorded 8 albums, and sold over 22 million records in the US alone. 'Dookie' (widely considered their greatest album) sold over 15 million copies worldwide- their three following albums, Insomniac, Nimrod and Warning, all achieved gold status (the one above double-platinum). For your aural pleasure, here's Scattering:


Artist 3: Lightspeed Champion with Florence and the MachineThree reasons to love Lightspeed Champion:
1. He makes good music (always good for a musician to do that sort of thing, really)- and his song, Midnight Surprise, feature backing from Tilly and the Wall (who, you can tell from this post, are some pretty cool cats).
2. His blog is awesome- it's filled with things such as word-play based movie reviews; I wish I was smart enough to come up with something like that.
3. He has very nice hair.
I have very little to say of Florence these days. After I awarded her with the prestigious accolade of 'One of the Sexiest Gingers in Music Today', she goes and lets me down with 'Lungs'. It's really not that bad at all, but it's just distinctly unremarkable. However, her cover of 'Scattered' by Green Day with Dev Hynes is pretty catchy, so maybe I'll let her off.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin