My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.atthesinema.co.uk/ and update your bookmarks.

.

This blog and all its contents has relocated to: atthesinema.co.uk
Please go there. Thanks.

Monday, July 20, 2009

3 Degrees of Separation: Yes to Ruby Weapon

And now, time for a new feature which I concocted whilst on my break (see, aren't I always thinking of you?) I gladly present to you: 3 Degrees of Separation!
Basically, I link three bands together by cover versions- the best way to fully explain this is just to launch into it- I'm sure you'll get the idea.

Band 1- Yes
I'll start with everybody's favorite 70's/80's British prog-rockers- oh yes, it's Yes. These guys went through more line-up changes than they did costume changes, but they produced some awesome music in their time. Case in point? 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'- for me, it's a song that everyone knows vaguely, but often gets overlooked. So, sit back and savour- here it is:



Band 2- Grizzly Bear
Now, for the clever part- what ties Yes to the indie-folk-experimentalists, Grizzly Bear, you ask? Grizzly Bear did a cover version of 'Owner of a Lonely Heart'. Do you see where I'm going with this? Their cover is much less exuberant than the original, with an almost haunting vocal- check it out:



It's safe to say that most music lovers have become acquainted with Grizzly Bear within the past year, if not sooner- their magnificently-composed, psychedelic album 'Veckatimest' has definitely been a musical highlight of the year as far as I'm concerned. The pinnacle of Grizzly Bear's mastery is 'Two Weeks'- a song that they say was conceived 'On a weekend trip to Cape Cod to play around with some song ideas and that one just came out of nowhere with Chris starting the piano line and myself quickly following with a vocal melody and lyrics'. Listen to it below:



Band 3: Ruby Weapon
I'm sure you've got the idea by now- below is Ruby Weapon's cover version of 'Two Weeks'- a much more stripped back and acoustic rendering of the song. Ruby Weapon are relatively unknown and unsigned, but they say of themselves: 'We were born out of dinosaur eggs and gradually made our way upon land until we evolved canines and ate meats and learned how to play midi instruments.' And, really, I think that's all you need to know.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin